I’m an OCD type A creative with a tendency to become stressed out about…well…anything. If you were creative and had that pesky type A need for perfection, you’d get stressed out too.
Someone used to tell me that I was wound tighter than an 8-day clock…and maybe I was…am…I mean…little things really get to me. Like when a fellow writer makes the presumption that I’m going to butcher their content. And tells me as such. In no kinder words.
But instead of rambling on about being stressed out, I thought I’d offer my wisdom and tell you how I handle stress in my life.
Things that help me unwind
- Quiet time is really important. Meditation. Snuggling. Napping. Any of these things can help calm me down. Brian’s really good at dragging me over to the couch and just…sitting with me until I’m less frazzled.
- Mindless activity. I used to play stupid games like Angry Birds or Bejeweled or long ago-Snood. Now, I go on Pinterest. I scroll through pages and pages of images, quotes, comics and more and pin or not. It doesn’t really matter to me.
- Drink a bottle of wine. Without a glass. Sometimes with crying. Sometimes with angry rants. Sometimes quietly.
- List-making. I am a list-maker through and through. If I can plan it out on a list, I feel instantly better about it. If I make the list 7 more times, even better.
- Think happy thoughts. What’s coming? What’s good? What’s exciting? I often imagine my life as a famous Chrissy. (But not those other famous Chrissy’s. They kind of suck. Famous ME Chrissy. Quirks and all.)
- Take a bath. A delightful bubble bath with colorful bubbles from LUSH. Because I’m obsessed.
- Plot my revenge. Did you really think that I wouldn’t have this on my de-stress list? Really? Because I’m that NICE girl? Just because I’m NICE doesn’t mean I can’t dream evil dreams. About revenge.
I know that there are more, but I’d rather open this up to discussion. What do YOU did when you’re stressed out? What truly calms you down?
Hey! Did you know you can buy my book on Amazon? 37 women wrote about the struggle for perfection, and I'm one of 'em. Go check it out!